Hello From the South Atlantic!!!!!

Moderator: Martin

Hello From the South Atlantic!!!!!

Postby Matt » Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Hello all,

I can only apologise for being very, very quiet the past couple of years, it's been a very busy period since I've joined the RN, with not a whole lot of time to myself, going through training, etc.

I joined my first ship (HMS Portland) in May last year, and I have most weekends and evenings to myself, so just as I was getting back into cycling, we deployed in January. We've visited: Lisbon, Gibraltar, Cape Verdi, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Angola, Namibia, South Africa,and South Georgia, so far, with a few other stops on the way. It's really cold down here, we had snow on the deck one day, and in South Georgia the sea boats were limited to about 15 knots as the sea was partly frozen.

We will be going back north into the Caribbean before turning East to come home!!!

I've borrowed a bike off a mate and spend most nights on the turbo, I try and get out each stop, but the hangovers off foreign beers tend to be crippling, that and in Angola it was 38 degrees at 0830, it set the tone for the whole of West Africa being very hot, and very humid. Poles apart from down here.

Hope everyone is keeping well, and you'll be happy to know that the BGCC kit has been well represented in all of the countries above, it still fits so I must be doing something right

Regards,

Matt "Jesse" James
i WILL go out this week
Matt

Re: Hello From the South Atlantic!!!!!

Postby Martin » Tue May 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Awesome to hear from you Matt! Glad to hear your enjoying your cruise around the world, hopefully they don't let you steer, I've seen you riding a bike :lol:

Next time your home and fancy a ride out, we still go out most Sundays from the Sq at 9am.

You need to get yourself into the RN&RM cycling squad and ride the 12hr, we'll give you loads of encouragement ;)
Martin

Return to General