How It Was
In 1946 the annual fees were eight shillings for men and four shillings for ladies, but that included membership of the National Cyclists Union, which is now the British Cycling Federation. This raised to nine shillings for 1950. The fee when attending the club night was three old pence.
The first club colours were black and gold, but R.T.T.C. rules stated that competitors had to wear all black in open time trials.
Some of the earlier Dinner and Prize Presentations were held in halls where there was not a licensed bar.
Club funds have been as low as £7.00 in hand.
The first open events were held in 1947. These were the hill climb at Brynithel and a 30 miles T.T. at Crickhowell. The hill climb was replaced by a Ladies Twenty Five in 1948, on the old R5 using the Newport - Cardiff roads.
The club dinner in January 1948 was at the Station Hotel, Abertillery, which is now the rugby club headquarters. 100 was the maximum under food rationing. There were 96 present, plus the four piece dance band. There was an extension of the bar from the normal closing time of 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tickets were 5s 6d
When George Wynn was landlord at the Cwm Hotel, Abertillery, in the mid fifties, the club night was held there.
The first life memberships were awarded in 1957.
Club runs started at 9.00 a.m. in Spring and Summer months from the War Memorial, Abertillery.
In 1961 the club senior B.A.R. was changed from 25, 30 and 50 to 25, 50, 100.
In 1961 the prizes in the Open 25 were £2, £1.50 and £1. Scratch and Handicap sections.
In 1966 Brian Fry became the first member to go under the hour when he clocked 59:38 in the Stourbridge 25
In the seventies, John Richards started promoting a weekend stage race for juniors. His hard work paid off with it developing into a major British event attracting the cream of both home and foreign competitors.
In 1970 and 1980 eight man teams rode rollers for 24 hours, in a shop window in Abertillery town centre, in aid of the St. John Ambulance Brigade. In 1986 the touring weekend was to Brittany, in 1987 to Ireland.
The annual club fees were increased to £3.00 in 1988.